Despite the rise of online advertising, TV ads are still very much an effective and popular method of reaching your target audience. In this post we will discuss some of the most important things you need to know when you are thinking about purchasing a TV ad, as well as one of the most popular lies about television advertising.
Three Truths about Buying TV Ads
1. The cost of TV ads depends on several variables.
There is no set price for TV ads. In fact, the cost of your television ad will vary based on several different factors. Some of the factors that will impact the cost of your ad include:
- Supply and demand - as with any commodity, television ads are affected by fluctuations in supply and demand.
- Time of year/season - at certain times of the year when more people are watching TV, television ads are more expensive.
- Length of commercial - longer commercials cost more to produce and run and shorter commercials.
- Network affiliates - placing ads on certain networks will cost more. For example, big-name national networks tend to charge more than smaller, local networks.
2. Television ads reach a large audience in a short amount of time.
Even with other methods of advertising growing in popularity, you can still reach an expansive audience with television advertising in a short amount of time. Advertisements have the greatest reach when they are placed with live events, such as award shows and football games. Running advertisements at certain times and with certain networks will also broaden their reach. For the best results, try to place advertisements within programs that are likely to appeal to members of your target audience.
3. Metrics of success with TV ads can be hard to track, but there are specific tactics that can be implemented to help.
Some people may tell you that it's too hard to track the impact of television ads, but several strategies have been shown to be effective. Some examples of strategies you can use to track the success of your television ads include:
- Create a specific hashtag for social media
- Track the sales metrics during the length of the campaign
- Set up a filter to track social and press mentions
- Upload the video to YouTube and other social media platforms so people can re-watch it
- Check your website for an increase in traffic
- Check for an increase in foot traffic/overall sales
A Lie About Buying TV Ads
One of the most prominent lies about TV ads is that they should no longer be a priority for advertisers due to the rise in popularity of digital platforms. This is simply not the case. Even though more people are utilizing OTT and streaming services, there is still a lot of space for success in TV ads. Large numbers of people still watch television, live or recorded. Television ads allow you to get your message in front of a large audience in a short period of time.
Many different factors go into play when you are considering television advertisements. With the right strategies, television advertisements can boost brand awareness, increase foot traffic, and improve your business' profitability. If you are considering television ads, working with the right media company can provide you with the expertise and guidance you need to make sure you buy TV ad space that will be an appropriate fit for your brand or product.